Project, recipe, poem, and verse
How to make a Dandelion Chain:
- First pick the dandelion flowers. The best kinds are those that have big flowers and thick stems. Make sure the stems are about as long as from your wrist to your finger-tips.
- Choose a large dandelion with a thick stem to start with. Carefully pinch the middle of the stem with your fingernails to make a slit in it. Take a second flower and push its stem through the slit. Pull carefully until the new flower is right next to the slit in the stem. You now have begun a dandelion chain!
- Continue to make slits in each of the new dandelion stems you put in and add another flower. If a stem breaks or splits all the way open, just throw that flower away and get a new one.
- Make the chain as long as you want it. Hang it in your play-house, fort, or decorate the kitchen table with it. You can also try to see how long you can make your chain before it breaks. What other things could you do with a dandelion chain?
Recipe for Dandelion Sunshine
- A heartful of dandelions (smiles)
- 3 bees (helpful, kind, and obedient)
Mix together early in the morning. Give some dandelion sunshine to everyone you meet. For, just as the bright dandelion spreads its seeds everywhere, so a cheerful smile and helpfulness will spread happiness around you.
Little words of kindness,
Whispered soft and low,
With a thrill of gladness
To the heart they go,
Lighting up its darkness,
With a cheering ray;
Changing heavy sadness
To the light of day.
—Selected from Primary Songs
A verse to hide in your heart
“A merry heart maketh a cheerful countenance.” (Proverbs 15:13)