Something You Can Do
You have heard of the story of the Good Samaritan who showed kindness to a man when no one else did. In the story about Ethan, you can see how Samaritans and Jews were not friends. But Jesus told a story about someone who was different. Do you know that you can be different, too? You can also show kindness to people that nobody else cares about, like old folks and shut-ins.
Here is a simple little gift that you can make, but it is only the beginning of what you can do. You can begin a “Good Samaritan Club” and plan many special things to do for others. After the holidays old folks often get sad and lonesome. Your family can go sing songs to them. You could make them homemade bread or cookies, or cards to tell them how you care about them. Show them love as you would to Jesus, for in the Bible it says: “I was sick, and ye visited me…. Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.” (Matthew 25:36,40)
Tin Can Lantern
You will need:
- a tin can
- small, fat candle
- a paper strip that fits around the can
- ribbon and glue
- pencil and tape
- nail and hammer
- Fill a tin can with water and put overnight in the freezer.
- Design a pattern for your lantern on the paper. Remember, you will have to punch holes on all the lines you make, so don’t make them too fancy. Some good patterns are lines, diamonds, stars, hearts, or words.
- When the ice in the can is firm, you can begin your punching. First tape your pattern around the can. Place the nail on one of the lines you made and hammer a hole. Bigger nails will make bigger holes. It also works best if you begin near the top edge, since that ice may crumble first. If the ice melts too much before you finish, just put it back in the freezer for awhile.
- When you are finished, take off the paper strip and let the ice melt in the sink. If the bottom curved out, punch it back in with the hammer. Tap a small nail into the middle of bottom, or punch a hole with a big nail. Now the candle will not wobble when you put it inside. You can also attach a wire handle across the top.
- Have someone help you glue a ribbon around the top edge of the can. Tie a bow in it, and add any other decorations that you want. Only put them on the outside so that they won’t burn.
- Press the candle inside and have someone light it. Give it to someone who needs some cheering light!